Finance and Budget Assistant
Full Job Description
This position is located in the Policy and Coordination Unit (PCU) of the Programme, Planning and Budget division (PPBD). The finance and budget officer reports to the Head of the Unit.
PPBD is committed to ensuring the highest standards in the preparation and presentation of programme budgets of the United Nations. These budgets are formulated in line with the agreed results-based budgeting methodology. PCU is responsible for the preparation, dissemination and coordination of budgetary practices, policies and guidance related to all aspects of programme budgets and for the continuous pursuit and development of improved solutions that address challenges affecting the programme budget. Given its central role, it consolidates budgetary information and presents it to a broad range of stakeholders, including internal and external clients, senior managers, specialized, oversight and intergovernmental bodies.ResponsibilitiesWithin delegated authority, the Finance & Budget Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Conducts Independent research and analyzes data from various Organization’s systems used in the preparation of budgets.
- Provides support to higher level Finance & Budget Officers with respect to budget reviews of relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
- Verifies accuracy of input data, ensuring consistency of data.
- Co-ordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
- Extracts expenditure data from various financial systems and compares it with approved budgets, highlighting differences to the programme budget officers and recommending adjustments to the budget as necessary.
- Inputs data into financial systems and verifies the availability of funds.
- Retrieves, analyzes and summarizes data from financial systems to allow budget reporting.
- Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme,
ensuring compliance with intergovernmental and oversight recommendations and decisions, as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
- Proof-reads reports and other documents to ascertain that financial and other information contained therein is correct.
- Logs, drafts or prepares correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant financial and budget
- Maintains and keeps up-to-date files.
- May be responsible for providing guidance, training and daily supervision to other general service staff in
the area of responsibility.
- Provides administrative support to Head of the unit and/or Finance/Budget Officer(s), as required.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Competencies• Professionalism: Knowledge of, and ability to apply financial rules, regulations and procedures in a large international organization; ability to maintain accurate records; review and interpret a wide variety of data; ability to identify and resolve data discrepancies; proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Organizational Systems; ability to produce high quality work under pressure and cope with deadlines, with demonstrated attention to detail; Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.Work Experience
A minimum of seven years of experience in finance, budget, accounting, administrative services or related area is required.
If you not find any contact details in this Job Description, Please attach your CV here and send directly.
Latest Jobs in USA, Canada, UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Dubai, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain and Oman.