Full Job Description
This position is located in the Headquarters Client Support Service (HQCSS), Division of Administration, (DOA), Department of Operational Support (DOS), New York. The Administrative Officer will report to the Chief, HQCSS.
The HQCSS also provides administrative support to the Office of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Sexual Violence in Conflict, the Office of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Violence Against Children, the Office of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Children and Armed Conflict, the Ethics Office, the Global Compact Office, the Human Security Unit, the Office of Administration of Justice, the Office of Information and Communications Technology, the Office of the United Nations Ombudsman and Mediation Services, the Office of Special Envoy for Haiti, the Office of Victims’ Rights Advocate, the Office of Special Coordinator on Improving the United Nations Response to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, the United Nations Office for Partnerships,the Office of the Secretary-General’s Envoy on Technology, the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations, as well as to the liaison offices of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime and the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification in New York and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research.
In line with the Secretary-General’s management reform report, DOS focuses on operations, services, transactions and surge support to entities in weak environments. It will service and support the entire Secretariat – at Headquarters, the regional commissions and offices away from Headquarters and in the field.ResponsibilitiesWithin delegated authority, the Administrative Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Reviews and prepares annual departmental budgets and performance reports (Support Account and Regular Budget);
- Reviews and prepares annual departmental Strategic Framework;
- Provides advice to managers and staff on the application of financial rules and regulations; monitoring and control of expenditures for all accounts including trust funds to ensure efficient and proper use of resources;
- Reviews and certifies travel requests, expense reports, payment requests and invoices; oversee the trust fund administration including review of contribution agreements and preparation of financial statements;
- Serves as focal point for Umoja organisational management, funds and grants management as well as role mapping issues for all supported offices.
- Assists the Executive Officer and programme managers to defend the Department’s budget proposals before the responsible legislative committees.
- Provides general administrative support to the above offices, including management of office space and equipment, acquisition and distribution of furniture and equipment and office supplies.
- Supervises the team responsible for finance, budget, trust fund, travel and general administrative support.
- Performs other related work as required.
Competencies• PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures. Knowledge of UN financial regulations, rules, established policies and procedures. Ability to apply various United Nations administrative rules and regulations in work situations. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
An Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, law or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.Work Experience
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in budget, finance, accounting, administration, trust fund management or related field is required.
Experience in budget formulation and financial management is required.
Experience in SAP-based ERP systems or equivalent ERP finance modules is desirable.
Experience working in an Executive Office of the United Nations Secretariat or similar international organisation is desirable.
Experience presenting and defending budget proposals is desirable.
Experience working with intergovernmental bodies on budget-related matters is desirable.Languages
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
If you not find any contact details in this Job Description, Please attach your CV here and send directly.
Latest Jobs in USA, Canada, UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Dubai, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain and Oman.