This position is located in the Operations Support Division, Office of Information and Communications Technology in New York. The Staff Assistant reports to the Director, Operations Support Division, OICT and other Senior Managers within the Division.
The Division is responsible for all ICT operations across the Secretariat, including field operations. It comprises of the Office of the Director, the Service Operations Service; Technology Operations Service; Regional Service Management and Technology Solutions Section. The Division oversees the integrated ICT global service delivery model which incorporates the ICT operations at the Global Service Centre and the Regional ICT Framework. The Division ensures monitoring and visibility of the technology landscape to allow for informed and effective decision making. The Division manages the Partnership for Technology in Peacekeeping initiative and provides non-enterprise field-specific technology solutions. Responsibilities Under the overall supervision of the Director, Operations Support Division, the incumbent will be responsible for the
- Performs, under minimal supervision, the full range of office management and administrative support functions; typically provides direct assistance to a senior officer or manager responsible for a major programme, such as a branch or division.
- Maintains liaison with the Executive Office and with senior officials in other units regarding on-going programmes and other administrative matters; monitors processes and schedules related to the unit’s outputs, products, tasks, etc.
- Ensures smooth and efficient information flow within the unit; prepares and processes confidential information; assists in the development of office administrative systems and procedures.
- Researches, compiles and summarizes background materials for use in preparation of reports, briefs, speeches, etc.
- Provides assistance in the coordination of service-wide activities (meetings, training, etc.), special projects and events.
- Orients new staff to relevant administrative procedures and practices and provides general assistance to other office support staff, as required; may coordinate the work of office support staff in providing meetings servicing/administrative support to various sessions of commissions and other bodies.
- Attends meetings, prepares minutes, monitors follow-up activities.
- Responds or drafts responses to a wide range of correspondence and other communications; uses standard word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports.
- Manages, updates and further develops internal databases; updates website; generates a variety of standard and non-standard statistical and other reports from various databases.
- Carries out quality control function for outgoing documents; proofreads and edits texts for adherence for format, grammar, punctuation and style.
- Responds to complex information requests and inquiries (e.g. answers requests requiring file search, etc.).
- Assists in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology/software.
- May provide some specialized support to unit (e.g. technology support, editing, desktop publishing, etc.).
- Maintains calendar/schedules; monitors changes and communicate relevant information to appropriate staff inside and outside the immediate work unit.
- Performs a variety of administrative duties (e.g. leave recording, meeting organization, reservations, office supply and equipment orders, etc.), including preparing and/or processing administrative requests/documents (e.g., travel requests, expense claims, vouchers, visa applications, etc.).
- Maintains files (both paper and electronic) and databases for work unit.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes and procedures. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Education
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Work Experience
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in general office support, administration or a related area is required.
Experience drafting and proof reading a wide variety of correspondence is required.
Experience working in the office of a senior official is desirable.
Experience using Microsoft software or similar software is desirable. Languages
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage. Assessment
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
If you not find any contact details in this Job Description, Please attach your CV here and send directly.
Latest Jobs in USA, Canada, UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Dubai, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain and Oman.