Full Job Description
Health disparities among New Yorkers are large, persistent and increasing. Public Health Solutions (PHS) exists to change that trajectory and support New Yorkers and their families in achieving optimal health and building pathways to reach their potential. As the largest public health nonprofit serving New York City, we improve health outcomes and help communities thrive by providing services directly to low-income families, supporting community-based organizations through our long-standing public-private partnerships, and bridging the gap between healthcare and community services. We focus on a wide range of public health issues including food and nutrition, health insurance, maternal and child health, sexual and reproductive health, tobacco control, and HIV/AIDS. Learn more about our work at healthsolutions.org.
PHS’ Community Health and Nutrition Access Program helps New York residents obtain free or low-cost health insurance coverage, apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, also known as Food Stamps), and through our WIC program, provides nutrition education sessions led by WIC nutritionists on healthy eating and physical activity, breastfeeding support, and eWIC cards to purchase nutritious foods. Our staff members are culturally and linguistically competent and identify with the communities they serve. They help clients navigate through what can be a complicated and confusing application process, step by step. Each year, we help over 22,000 people apply for or renew free or low-cost health insurance coverage, 14,000 people to apply for SNAP, and 35,000 eligible pregnant and nursing women and children up to five years of age to enroll in the New York State WIC (Women Infants and Children) Program.
Summary of Position:
Under direct supervision of the Center Manager, the Qualified Nutritionist is responsible for the assessment of the WIC eligibility of applicants, direct implementation of nutrition education components, participant-centered nutrition services and support to WIC clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Verifies and documents eligibility of WIC participants to enroll eligible applicants.
- Participates in the administration of the WIC program and evaluation of documents.
- Provides individual and facilitated group discussion using the Participant Centered Nutrition Education (PCNE) technique.
- Ensures relevant and current information transfer regarding pregnancy, nutrition, and/or health concerns.
- Assists in evaluating and developing literature, posters, videos and DVDs.
- Conducts Participant Centered Nutrition Assessment (PCNA) to motivate WIC participants and help improve their health and nutrition status.
- Performs client anthropometric and hematological measurements on site to prevent delay in benefits between physician visits.
- Undergoes annual anthropometric and hematological training on site.
- Participates in all other activities that contribute to the efficient operation of the WIC Center.
- Ability to travel and work at other WIC centers in Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx.
- Attends all mandatory trainings and meetings.
- Participates in program outreach to Local Organizations and Community Partners (Subject to travel).
- B.S. or B.A. in Food and Nutrition, including at least 18 semester credits in nutrition.
- Two years of professional experience in nutrition.
- Registered Dietitian preferred but not required: Completion of an approved hospital dietetic internship which satisfies requirements for Registered Dietitian (The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics) or RD eligible and NY State certification.
- A satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with computers and basic word processing, and good data entry skills.
- Bilingual preferred (Spanish).
- Customer service experience preferred
- Possess strong communication skills (listening, written, oral, and public speaking)
- Dedicated to helping improve the lives of disenfranchised and marginalized communities.
- Excellent team player with the ability to be flexible and work collaboratively and respectfully.
- Ability to embrace diversity; Possesses people and cultural competency skills.
- Work collaboratively both internally and externally and engage in consensus-based decision making.
- Must be reliable and very organized with strong time management.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to work independently.
- Able to assist with receiving, sorting and storing inventory.
If you not find any contact details in this Job Description, Please attach your CV here and send directly.
Latest Jobs in USA, Canada, UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Dubai, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain and Oman.