This position is located in in the Memorandum of Understanding and Reimbursement Policy Section (MRPS) within UCSD of the Office of Supply Chain Management (OSCM) in the Department of Operational Support (DOS).
DOS was established to provide end-to-end operational support, advisory services and other solutions to operating entities across the Secretariat, including other departments, offices away- from headquarters, field missions, and regional commissions.
The Office of Supply Chain Management includes the Office of the Assistant Secretary-General for Supply Chain Management, Logistics Division, the Procurement Division, the Uniformed Capabilities Support Division, Umoja Coordination Service, Global Service Centre, Aviation Safety Section and the Enabling and Outreach Service.
The Uniformed Capabilities Support Division (UCSD) serves as the single point of entry within the Secretariat for operational and policy matters relating to support and reimbursement to military and police contingents deployed to United Nations field operations. Reimbursement payments to contributing countries are one of the largest costs of United Nations peacekeeping.
The incumbent reports to the Chief of Section (MRPS). Responsibilities Within delegated authority, the Team Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Performs a wide range of office support and administrative functions.
- Responds or drafts responses to routine correspondence and other communications; uses standard word-processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports.
- Applies skills to support the preparation of analytical documents used to inform decision making, undertake research, compile and organize information and reference materials from various sources for reports, work plans, studies, briefings, meetings, conferences etc.
- Monitors and supports processes directed at negotiating, finalizing and amending MOUs and schedules related the unit’s outputs, products, tasks, etc.; where applicable, assists in the verification of receipt and accuracy of requisite documents, approvals, signatures, etc. to ensure compliance with relevant legal, financial and other requirements.
- Researches, compiles and organizes information and reference materials from various sources for reports, work plans, studies, briefings, meetings/conferences, etc.
- Generates a variety of standard statistical and other reports, work orders, etc., using various databases.
- Proofreads documents and edits texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, and for adherence to established standards for format.
- Screens phone calls and visitors; responds to moderately complex information requests and inquiries (e.g. answers requests requiring file search, etc.), and as necessary, refers inquiries to appropriate personnel for handling.
- Provides administrative and logistics support for the triennial meetings of the contingent owned equipment working group and quadrennial troop-cost survey, COE Working Group, meetings, boards, committees, conferences, etc.
- Assists in the maintenance of websites by scanning, converting and posting a variety of documents onto the site.
- Assists in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology/software.
- Maintains calendar/schedules; monitors change and communicates relevant information to appropriate staff inside and outside the immediate work unit.
- Performs data entry and extraction functions.
- Reviews, records, distributes and/or processes mail and other documents; follows-up on impending actions.
- Updates and maintains large distribution lists; monitors, prepares and distributes various materials, reports, where possible using electronic formats; handles arrangement for printing and translation as necessary; coordinates shipment arrangements, courier services, etc.
- Performs general administrative tasks (e.g. leave and attendance recording, arrangements for meetings and other events, reservations, budget follow-up, etc.), to include preparing and/or processing administrative requests/documents (e.g. requisitions, purchase orders, travel requests, contracts, expenditure authorizations, visa applications, etc.).
- Maintains a comprehensive digital filing system and databases for the Section including critical incoming and outgoing correspondence, mission documents, and confidential correspondence and thematic/cross cutting reports.
- Assists in providing software and office equipment support.
- Provides guidance to less experienced staff on general office processes and procedures, computer applications, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Professionalism: Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes and procedures. Knowledge of financial and human resources policies, procedures and processes. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Education
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Work Experience
A minimum of three years of experience in administrative services, finance, human resources or related area, is required.
Experience in the use of computer systems, such as financial modules, automated budget and accounting systems and other spreadsheet and word processing applications is desirable.
Experience working with data analytics and complex spreadsheets is desirable.
Experience in processing transactional claims or assisting in contract negotiations is desirable. Languages
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable. Assessment
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview. Special Notice
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures
This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the United Nations Staff Rules. All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance of each office, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Applicants who have not passed the GGST at the time of application may be invited for the test after submitting an application. Having passed the Administrative Support Assessment Test [in English] at the United Nations headquarters, Economic Commission for Africa, Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia, United Nations Office at Geneva, United Nations Office at Vienna, International criminal tribunal for Rwanda or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
At the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the recruitment and employment of staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity, with due regard to geographic diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications and organizational needs. The United Nations is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. The United Nations recruits and employs staff regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds or disabilities. Reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities may be provided to support participation in the recruitment process when requested and indicated in the application.
If you not find any contact details in this Job Description, Please attach your CV here and send directly.
Latest Jobs in USA, Canada, UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Dubai, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain and Oman.