Server Side Software Developer
Here at the Guardian, we believe the open exchange of information, ideas and opinions has the power to change the world for the better. Our independent journalism holds power to account across the globe and brings information that’s suppressed into the public domain.
We are now looking for a Back End Software Developer to join our growing team.
About The Role
- You’ll mostly be programming in Scala, running in AWS, but we use the tool that best fits the problem.
- You’ll be working in a cross-functional team, working autonomously to rapidly iterate and release new features.
- You won’t be coding in isolation – our culture is strongly collaborative, whether pair programming with other developers or working closely with editorial and commercial colleagues.
- As a server side engineer, you’ll be equally willing to dive into a purely functional and composable Scala back-end or work with a variety of database and streaming technologies. You won’t necessarily be an expert in everything, but you’ll be eager to learn.
- You are a creative, passionate, and intelligent person who loves web technologies.
- You are excited by the opportunity to shape the future of digital journalism.
We strive for transparency in remuneration. The salary for new developers at The Guardian is £49.6k
What we offer
- Flexible working (see below for details)
- Generous pension scheme; if you contribute 5% then the Guardian will contribute 8-12% (depending on your age)
- Mental and Physical Health insurance and dental scheme
- 26 days annual leave and the option to purchase an extra 5 days
- Up to 18 weeks of parental leave at full pay
- Multi-faith prayer room
- Cycle to work scheme and subsidised gym membership
- Paid volunteering days
- Annual season ticket loan
More about flexible working
We encourage flexible working to better balance the needs of the company and employees as their circumstances change over time, and in order to attract and retain a diverse team. No two situations are identical, so please discuss with us at or before offer stage. In order to help applicants, here are some broad guidelines of the level of flexibility we are able to give for remote working. With the current pandemic situation almost everyone is currently working from home all the time, but this is a temporary situation and we are currently not forecasting to have people remote working all their time in the medium term, once the situation will enable people to commute and work safely from the office.
If you are a full time employee and wish to work at home, expect to be required to work in the office while you get up to speed, and then at least 60% time in the office after that in order to maintain a relationship with the wider team. In the long term it may be possible to go as low as 1 day a week.
We welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds, different lived experiences and different perspectives. A diverse team means we can better reflect and engage our global audience. We believe in hiring the best people from the widest pool, and also in including them, fostering a culture where people’s voices can be heard and our employees look forward to coming to work.
To apply please upload your CV. You must already have the right to work in the UK.
Our interview process involves 2 stages: a pairing test and a face to face interview, we are currently running the interview process remotely.
If you not find any contact details in this Job Description, Please attach your CV here and send directly.
Latest Jobs in USA, Canada, UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Dubai, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain and Oman.