Al-Jazeera (Arabic: الجزيرة, romanized: al-jazīrah, IPA: [æl (d)ʒæˈziːrɑ], virtually “The Island”, tho’ bearing on the Arabia in context) may be a Qatari state-funded broadcaster in capital of Qatar, Qatar, closely-held by the Al-Jazeera Media Network. at the start launched as associate Arabic news and current-affairs satellite television channel, Al-Jazeera has since distended into a network with many retailers, as well as the web and specialty tv channels in multiple languages.
Al-Jazeera Media Network may be a major world press association, with eighty bureaus round the world. the initial Al-Jazeera Arabic channel’s temperament to broadcast dissentient views, for instance on call shows, created controversies within the Arab States of the gulf. The station gained worldwide attention following the natural event of the war in Afghanistan, once its workplace there was the sole channel to hide the war live.
Al-Jazeera Media Network is closely-held by the govt of Qatar. Al Jazeera Media Network has declared that they’re in an editorial freelance from the govt of Qatar because the network is funded through loans and grants instead of government subsidies. Critics have suspect Al Jazeera of being a info outlet for the Qatari government.
The network is typically appeared to have chiefly Muhammedan views, promoting the Muslim Brotherhood, associated having a pro-Sunni and an anti-Shia bias in its news of regional problems. However, Al Jazeera insists it covers all sides of a debate; it says it presents Israel’s read, Iran’s read and even ventilated videos free by Osama terrorist.
In June 2017, the Saudi, Emirati, Bahraini, and Egyptian governments demanded the closure of the news station united of 13 demands created to Qatar throughout the 2017 Qatar Crisis. alternative media networks have spoken enter support of the network. in keeping with The Atlantic magazine, Al-Jazeera presents a much more moderate, Westernized face than Muslim jihadism or rigid Sunni orthodoxy, and tho’ the network has been criticized as “an ‘Islamist’ stalking horse” it truly options “very very little specifically non secular content in its broadcasts”.
The network challenged established narratives and gave a global audience an alternative voice, one that put the people back at the centre of the news agenda, and quickly made it one of the world’s most influential news networks.
Each subsidiary in the Al Jazeera Media Network follows the same principles and values that inspire it to be challenging and bold, and to provide a voice for the voiceless in some of the world’s most unreported places.
It’s a responsibility shared by every employee at the Al Jazeera Media Network, from our headquarters to our broadcast centres. In more than 70 bureaus around the world, we strive to deliver content that captivates, informs, inspires and entertains.
|Launched||1 November 1996; 23 years ago|
|Owned by||Al Jazeera Media Network|
|Picture format||1080i (HD)|
|Slogan||“The Opinion and The Other Opinion”|
|Sister channel(s)||Al Jazeera English|
Al Jazeera Mubasher
Al Jazeera Balkans
Al Jazeera Documentary Channel
- In March 2003, Al-Jazeera was awarded by Index on Censorship for its “courage in circumventing censorship and contributing to the free exchange of information in the Arab world.”
- In April 2004, the Webby Awards nominated Al Jazeera as one of the five best news Web sites, along with BBC News, National Geographic, RocketNews and The Smoking Gun. According to Tiffany Shlain, the founder of the Webby Awards, this caused a controversy as [other media organisations] “felt it was a risk-taking site”.
- In 2004, Al Jazeera was voted by brandchannel.com readers as the fifth most influential global brand behind Apple Computer, Google, IKEA and Starbucks.
- In January 2013, Al-Jazeera was nominated for the Responsible Media of the Year award at the British Muslim Awards.
- In 2019 Al-Jazeera Investigations Unit won the Walkley Awards for “Scoop of the Year”.